Saturday, November 5, 2011

Do you remember where you were during 9/11?

I was in the United States Coast Guard stationed in San Francisco when that happened. I remember us having an all-hands meeting on the mess deck as the reservists were activated. We sat around watching the news as the Twin Towers collapsed and the Pentagon was engulfed in flames. It looked like a scene from Independence Day in that it all seemed so unreal. Because I was on the West Coast, the planes had already hit the tower by the time I had awoken. Meanwhile, CNN and all the other networks showed several clips over and over of that second plane hitting the South Tower. My mom called from Boston while my sister phoned frantically from Austin. My dad, who worked in Building One, was out in California visiting me that day. He and my stepmom had originally planned on going Labor Day weekend, but something else came up. Four of his co-workers were killed when the first plane struck as they were on the 95th floor. Had he not postponed his trip a week later, his name might have been on the memorial they're dedicating there. Where were you when the 9/11 attacks happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment